Pages

Sunday, January 02, 2005

January's Thought-Provoking Question(s)

"I HEREBY PROMISE TO . . ."

The beginning of the new year is traditionally a time to resolve to improve your life in some way over the next 365 days. Unfortunately, however, it is also a tradition that such resolutions are rarely kept, at least for very long. Often that's because people make promises that they don't really intend to keep, or that are too difficult to keep, or that are out of their realm of control anyway. "I resolve to stop swearing," for example, or "I will lose fifty-three pounds before summer," or "I will meet and marry the man/woman of my dreams." Yeah, right.

This month, I ask you: Do you make resolutions at the start of each new year? If not, why not? If so, what did you resolve for 2005? What will you do to insure success with this year's resolutions? What past years' resolutions did not go so well for you? Which ones worked out better than you had planned? Tell about your start-of-2005 promises to yourself for the next twelve months.

5 comments:

  1. I have never made and new year resolution. But this year is different. My resolution is to post an answer to every monthy thought-provoking question.
    ~Jason~

    ReplyDelete
  2. My other resolution is to find out the definition of pensive.
    ~Jason~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I generally don't make resolutions. Because I'm perfect. Or maybe because I just don't take the time to think about what I want to chance about myself . . .or things of that nature.

    Doesn't pensive mean like . . deep in thought or something like that?

    How long are you going to have this Thought Provoking Question of the Month? Might it even *gasp* run into the summer?! What a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Item One: Yeah, I'll probably post a question o' the month in perpetuity (look that one up, Jason). Or until I run out o' questions, whichever comes first.

    Item Two: Yes, pensive means thoughtful, reflective, contemplative. The blog name comes from a two-line comedy bit that is attributed to the TV show M*A*S*H:

    Hawkeye: Radar, you look pensive.
    Radar: No, I'm just thinking.

    It cracks me up. But it's only funny if you know what pensive means and, thus, if you know that Radar doesn't know what it means. Anyhoo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I have said I will try to do several things over the course of the next year such as save money eat healthier, we all know that won't happen. Instead, I have taken a more positive outlook- My New Year's Resolution is to enjoy life more. Things change. People change. Life changes- it's the way it is supposed to be. Instead of getting upset about, I am working on accepting things more graciously. This is something that I have been working on since August- and it's helped. I received my orders for my permenant duty station once I complete training here in Great Lakes. I am going to the USS Blue Ridge, a communications ship. Homeport: Yokosuka, Japan. This is a change I am happy to accept, but it will still take major adjusting. I am hoping to come home after graduation for a few weeks before I fly to Japan, as I will probably not be able to come for two years once I go. Things do not always go as planned. But in the end, they work out. I am looking positivly toward the future and hope for the best. "No Day But Today"
    ~Cory
    PS- Moberg- why didn't you tell me you had a website again? :)

    ReplyDelete