Pages

Monday, March 14, 2005

March's Thought-Provoking Question(s)

IN HONOR OF ST. PATRICK'S DAY

Well, I have no Irish heritage, but I enjoy celebrating St. Patrick's Day with those who do . . . and experiencing Irish pride vicariously through them! What is your ethnic background? In what celebrations do you participate in order to honor your ethnic heritage?

I'll start: my ancestors came to the U.S. from Germany, Norway, and Sweden. I celebrate Syttende Mai, which is Norwegian for the 17th of May--the Norwegian equivalent of the American 4th of July. It recalls Norway's declaration of independence. My dad belongs to an organization called the Sons of Norway, and they celebrate Syttende Mai with Norwegian food, music, language, etc. I mostly just enjoy the food!

I also have enjoyed the Norsk Hostfest, a Scandinavian event held annually in Minot, North Dakota. Again, the Norwegian food is a big draw for me. In fact, even with my extended family, it is through food that I "know" my ethnic roots. I haven't been to Norway or Sweden yet, but I've been to Germany, and I remember the great food as well as any of the beautiful sights (and sites) I experienced.

Okay, your turn!

4 comments:

  1. I would like to start off by saying that it only took me one month to break my New Years resolution. I didn’t post anything in February’s thought-provoking question.

    Now for my heritage: ½ Irish, ¼ Norwegian, 1/8 Scottish, 1/8 French.

    I usually don’t tell anyone one I’m French because of all the “…and France surrenders jokes.”

    As far as celebrating my heritage, I only celebrate St. Patrick’s day. I’m usually sorry for doing it the day after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ****************************
    ***************************
    ***************************
    ***************************
    ****************************
    ****************************
    ****************************
    ***********Jason***********

    ReplyDelete
  3. well hello, mr. m. i've just stumbled across your blog, and i'm happy to find that you're not too afraid to reach out to students (and others) beyond the classroom. yay for you!

    and now for the question... i like to think that i'm african. not just african american... pure african! but sadly, i'm just some weird mixture of: german, irish, norwegian, and some other european nationalities.

    i don't really celebrate my heritage too much. i didn't even wear green on the 17th. but if i was african, i'd definately celebrate that. with bongo drums.

    amanda z

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel our heritage is MUCHO important-o! It's important to know where you came from and what your ancestor's went through. For me it gives purpose to my everyday life knowing that one day my great-great grandchildren may look to my life for inspiration. As much as I embrace my Irish, German, Icelandic roots and admire the 100%-ers, I eagerly await the day where we don’t have to check a box on a census form. As our cultures, especially in the US, continue to blend and grow beyond skin color and country of origin we all just become Americans. I will soon marry a Mexican/Native American. I wonder what our children will claim as heritage? They may have dark hair and skin but inside they carry the genes for a fair skinned, red haired Irishman. Or perhaps they will be mutant with half curly red hair, half straight black, tan skin with freckles. The possibilities are endless. My only point is I think we need to know our heritage because in the years to come we may not have one to claim. Maybe at that point true equality will reign! We will soley be judged by our actions and not our color or background. (I can dream can’t I?)

    Cathy S

    ReplyDelete