Pages

Monday, November 07, 2005

What Was I Thinking?!?!

I cannot explain myself. Friday was the last day of the first quarter of this school year, and for some unknown reason, I scheduled the courses that I teach so that I left the building Friday carrying the following things:
  • 52 American Literature essay exams to read, comment on, and grade
  • 46 junior English essay exams to read, comment on, and grade
  • 21 advanced writing compositions to read, comment on, and grade
  • 46 junior English compositions to read, comment on, and grade

And all this on the weekend that I knew my family and I would be spiriting out of town for Susan's cousin's Todd's wedding in Dickinson, ND. Absolutely nuts!

I thought I might get some grading done in the van Friday afternoon if Susan were to drive, but it was so overcast from rainy weather that it was too dark to read in the vehicle--so I just did the driving myself. We stayed in my father-in-law's apartment, and both Friday and Saturday nights, after everyone else had gone to bed, I stayed up at his kitchen table and read, read, read.

I was up until about 3:00 A.M. Saturday and until about 5:00 A.M. Sunday (after having spent all of Saturday visiting with family, then attending the wedding, reception, and dance). We left Dickinson around 9:00 A.M. Sunday, and I continued reading while Susan drove. When we got back to East Grand Forks, I went directly to school where I finished reading/commenting/grading about 7:00 P.M. Egads!

Do students appreciate the amount of time I spend responding to their work and preparing for our classes? I have no idea. I know many of them realize that I'm usually at the school, whether it be early in the morning or late at night, but I don't know if they know why I'm always there or what I'm doing there all the time.

Shhh! Don't tell them, and the mystique shall remain.

3 comments:

  1. My day has been made, and you are the reason. Thank you SO MUCH for the kind words. I hope my current and future students, too, will feel like THEY are my reason for being at school--because they are (and so were you!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I think you are an AMAZING teacher!!! No matter how crabby or tired I am in the morning, I always enjoy walking into room 101 first period. I just makes my day. Most people really dont like going to first hour, but I actually dont mind it. You just make class so fun and interesting. You treat us like adults, and that makes it a lot easier to go to class, and actually enjoy it. Im sure I speak for a lot of students when I say that I really REALLY appreciate all your extra efforts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! It's great to be appreciated. Of course, it's easier to be a good teacher when you have good students--which I do! Thank you, Brittany. Is it just serendipity (another great word to learn meaning "happy coincidence") that this compliment comes at the start of 2005's American Education Week?

    ReplyDelete