Pages

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Vocabulary Lessons

Yesterday Suzanna built a fort in her bedroom closet, which necessitated her removing all the normal items from it and setting it up with pillows, blankets, stuffed animals, notebooks and pens for note writing, books for reading, and a makeshift reading lamp created by tying a string to the end of a flashlight and hanging it over the rod that holds the hangers. After she showed me her creation, I had her tell Susan about it, and we all giggled together over her imagination. Suzanna said, "Well, it's fun to be avant-garde sometimes."

Her choice of "avant-garde" (and her even knowing that phrase) sent us into more giggles, and I kept repeating her sentence and complimenting her on her vocabulary. She said, "Daddy, I just pennied a phrase." That one had me stumped for a while. So she reminded me of a TV show that we had watched several weeks ago on which someone had come up with a catchphrase that caught on with the others on the show, and that person was credited with having "pennied" the phrase. "A-ha!" I said, "you mean 'coined a phrase'?" "Yeah, that's it!" she said. Too cute.

Anyhoo, each of Suzanna's sisters subsequently created a fort in her own closet, and they all got our permission to spend the night sleeping in their forts. They were cramped quarters, to be sure, but the girls were excited, so we tucked them in . . . while visions of charlie horses and neck cramps and chiropractor appointments danced in our heads.

Suzanna requested curls for tomorrow, when she and her sisters will sing for church (and I will play for them), so here she has curlers in her hair and has borrowed a knitted cap from one of her stuffed animals and placed it on her own head to keep the curlers from falling out in the night! Notice the red flashlight hanging overhead inside her fort.

Those are Susan's pink pant-clad legs in the mirror on Abigail's closet door, and that's Abigail cheerfully scrunched into the corner of her fort. I tried to remove a few stuffed animals to make more room for her own body, but Abigail would have none of it.

Because Hillary didn't want to remove the big bin of dress-up clothes from her closet, she had the least room of the three inside her fort. She has used the bin as a shelf for a few of her favorite things and crammed several stuffed animals in beside her. Near her feet are several stacked crates that she uses to store jeans and sweatshirts, so there is precious little room for her legs, but she's not complaining.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe they all actually spent the night in their closets! They definitely did NOT inherit that trait from me--I will sometimes nap on a couch, but mostly I like to do my sleeping in a bed. I don't recall turning my own closet into a fort when I was a child, but I probably would have enjoyed it (but I wouldn't have slept there, even as a child!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had various forts built in Mom and Dad's house while growing up. Mostly in our bedrooms. Sometimes in the living room. We used chairs and blankets to support the many peaked forts. Good times.......

    Very creative of the girls to just use a limited-space closet for such a fort.

    ReplyDelete