Pages

Monday, April 18, 2005

Stitches

What is up with our daughters, cuts, and stitches?!

A couple months ago, my wife, Susan, had to take our three-year-old, Hillary, to the doctor when a sister threw something that cut Hillary just below the nose. The doctor used a glue-like substance to hold the cut shut, but Hillary has a little scar above her lip from that incident. We're supposed to keep her out of the sun this summer to avoid tanning the scar and making it more noticeable.

Today, our seven-year-old, Suzanna, fell while playing on the playground at school and cut her forehead just above her left eyebrow. Susan took her to the doctor, who had to use five stitches to close the gash. This one will definitely scar. Fortunately, the scar looks like it will be hidden in Suzanna's eyebrow. In the meantime, Suzanna can't show many expressions lest the stitches should burst (which happened in the doctor's office), so she's looking pretty sober tonight.

Thank God for good doctors and small injuries. Just the same, I'd prefer that nothing painful ever happen to my daughters. I hope our five-year-old, Abigail, isn't next . . .

1 comment:

  1. I think children are prone to small scarring. When I was in preschool I threw a tantrum and in my jumping fell right through a wooden slide set, leaving a scar between my chin and lower lip. I've also got tons of tiny scars on my hands from childhood and have no idea how I even got them all. Hope your kids stay out of the doctors office! :)

    ReplyDelete