Pages

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Four-Part Harmony

Tonight Susan and I joined one of our pastors and his wife to sing at church. Pastor Roger asked us to join him and Kathi in four-part harmony on several standard hymns, so we met a few minutes before church to run through a few of them. Then, we opened the service by singing "What a Friend We Have in Jesus," "This Is My Father's World," "Softly and Tenderly," and "Soon and Very Soon." It was great to be able to step in with another musical couple and sing accurate harmony with appropriate dynamics in a way that felt like we were listening carefully to one another and responding to one another's instincts, etc. We also sang "Great Is Thy Faithfulness" just before the sermon, and then Susan and I sang "Come Now and Eat" during communion--a spur-of-the-moment suggestion by Kathi a few minutes before the service.

It was a fun musical opportunity that reminded me of singing in the Zion Lutheran Church (McGregor, ND) choir with my parents when I was in high school. It was me and a bunch of middle-aged and elderly church members singing the four parts of the hymns from the red hymnal. It was fun and felt traditional, and I recalled it when singing tonight. I hope we get a chance to do it again sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment