Pages

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Cocktails and Cookies with Cousins

Last night I got to reconnect with some relatives on my mom's side of the family, whom I don't get to see very often. I see family members on my dad's side at occasional weddings, funerals, birthday parties, and get-togethers when we're home to visit Dad, but there don't seem to be very frequent events to bring together Mom's relatives. Many of those aunts, uncles, and cousins I haven't seen since Mom's funeral seven years ago.

In any case, my mom's brother Lawrence's youngest son Layne's son Tyler just recently moved back to Dickinson (where he spent much of his childhood when he, his sister, and their parents used to live here), and yesterday was his 21st birthday. Tyler phoned and invited me to join him and his parents at the bar that Tyler had chosen, and I was happy to do so for the opportunity to see everybody. Not only did I see Tyler and his parents, Layne and Jo (who live now in Devils Lake), but I also saw Shar (Layne's sister) and her husband Ben (both of Watford City) and their younger son Shawn (also of Devils Lake). Tyler had a good time celebrating his legality, and I had a good time catching up on Layne and Jo's lives.

This afternoon they stopped by our house to see Susan and the girls, and we were able to visit some more and snap the requisite photographs (that's the Moberg in me). Layne grew up on a farm just a couple miles west of the farm that I grew up on, and his parents are not only my aunt and uncle but also my godparents. We spent a lot of time at each other's homes growing up, sometimes to celebrate birthdays but just as often simply to "go visiting" and play cards and, of course, eat. Layne's a guy of constrasting talents: automotive and home repair as well as culinary and parenting skills. Growing up, he was known for making terrific chocolate chip cookies ("He still does," says Jo) and for putting his vanilla ice cream in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it up, adding chocolate syrup, and then stirring the concoction into a silky, whipped dairy treat. When I do that even now, I tell the girls that I acquired the "recipe" from my cousin Layne, so that's what they had in their minds when they met/re-met him today!

Having Tyler in town will likely bring Layne and Jo to Dickinson more often. They have numerous friends here from when they used to live here, so I'm sure they'll take the opportunity to visit those friends when they come, but we'll try to get them back to our house for a full-scale meal on one of those visits (today there was time only for beverages and baked goodies). In the meantime we'll have Tyler over for some home-cooked food, too.

Layne, Jo, and Tyler (does he look 21 to you?)

Posing with Hillary and Abigail. Suzanna's friend Evan had phoned earlier this afternoon and invited her over to play, so she rode her bike over to his house shortly before Layne's family arrived and, thus, missed out on the visit. One more reason for us to do this again soon!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! How nice to see them! Layne looks like Lauren (I saw Lauren last year while home for Dad's 70th) but yet he also reminds me quite a bit of Verdean! I can't believe that Tyler is 21! Sheesh! ...

    ReplyDelete