Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Jury Duty

I'm finally done with jury duty! I've been "on call" since the beginning of May, and has it ever been frustrating waiting, wondering when they're going to call on me to show up at the court house. Last week, I had to report three days in a row; two of those days, we prospective jurors were all sent home due to trial cancelations, and the other day, I was not selected from the jury pool to sit on the panel. Today, I had to report, and this time, I was one of about twenty called to the panel. The judge and both lawyers took turns asking us various questions, trying to determine whom to keep and whom to excuse from service. It took all morning to proceed, but I was not one of the twelve finally selected. My students, strangely enough, just may be glad to have me back after so many days of substitute teachers and me not there to clarify instructions, lead discussions, etc. The trial preparation and jury selection process are interesting to learn more about first-hand, but I'm glad finally to be "off the hook" and back to my own schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment