Pages

Monday, December 06, 2004

December's Thought-Provoking Question(s)

IT'S BEGINNING TO LOOK A LOT LIKE CHRISTMAS

When the weather was still pretty nice in October, my daughters and I hung the outdoor Christmas lights on our house and drove plastic stakes into the yard to hold strings of little Santa lights. We didn't turn any of the lights on until after Thanksgiving, mind you, but we wanted to get that work out of the way and be ready before it got too cold. And we waited and waited and waited for Thanksgiving to come and go so that we could light up the house for Christmas!

Now, when I come home from school each day, the radio is tuned to an all-Christmas-songs-all-day-long radio station, the Christmas lights are on inside the house and out, and more presents have appeared beneath the tree. We've planned our annual December tour of North Dakota, arranged so that we make stops at all the relatives' homes in the far reaches of the state before returning to EGF for our own family celebration. We're in the spirit of the season.

This month's questions are in regard to Christmas. Even if you're not Christian, you probably cannot avoid some participation in Christmas as a secular holiday, if you live in the United States. What are the celebrations and traditions that you associate with this holiday? What are your best Christmas memories? What unusual or exciting plans do you have for Christmas this year?

1 comment:

  1. I've realized recently that I no longer really like Christmas. I think it's too much of a glitz and glamor sort of thing and is something which should generally be avoided. As a family, we used to go around after shopping or something and just look at all of the houses that were decked out. Now we're sort of stopped that, since we don't realyl go shopping together . . .sort of just fend for ourselves. But I'm glad that we don't do that any more. I really dislike all of the christmas lights that some people put up. In my opinion they're a bit to gaudy and overshadow the holiday itself. I hvae nothing against Christmas as a religious holiday. As a commercial holiday, though . . . . ick. I'm definitely not a fan. I suppose that if my family had more of an actual tradition for Christmas I may have turned out to be more fond of the holiday in general, but as it is, we only have the same generic traditions that are really the bare bones of Christmas - exchange gifts . . .maybe a tree . . .big meal. We used to get together with my dad's side of the family, since my mom's side all live in Asia . . .haha . . .Asia, but now that my uncle and his progeny have left the area we just sort of sit at home and twiddle our thumbs. I'm not looking forward to the holiday break.

    ReplyDelete