Pages

Sunday, December 05, 2004

Goodbye, Miss Flatland

My student-teacher, Miss Flatland, has ended her tenure in my classroom and will walk the halls of EGF Senior High School no more. I'm quickly getting back into the swing of things, getting reacquainted with students whom I haven't taught in weeks, getting used to being in the front of the room all day, etc. All in all, I think Miss Flatland did a fine job, and I'm looking forward to using next year some of the lesson ideas she used with our classes this year.

I wonder what students at our school think about student-teachers in general (not just Miss Flatland in particular). Student-teaching is tough; it's practical training that's necessary for someone to get experience before holding a teaching job of his/her own. On the other hand, it's tough taking over for a teacher whose students are used to the way he/she does things. And it seems that students at our school work with quite a few student-teachers during the course of their four years in the building.

Students, what have been your experiences with student-teachers (don't use their names, please)? What has been good about having them? What could your regular teachers do to make the experience of working with a student-teacher go even better for you?

1 comment:

  1. Generally, I've liked student teachers. . . . Sometimes it's a nice change of pace to have some random person teaching the class. It isn't exactly a random person, of course, but it's nice all the same. Unless the student teacher is heinous. Then it kinda sucks a lot. . . But I think I've had fairly nice student teachers.

    ReplyDelete