Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2005

Graduation

What a great and awful time of year. Last night, the seniors graduated. For at least a month, they've been preparing for this milestone both physically (cleaning out lockers, cleaning out garages to host guests) and mentally (losing concentration in classes, preparing to say their goodbyes). They took their final exams this past week, and they had their senior graudation luncheon on Friday. I was honored to be their guest speaker, and I hope I delivered a message both entertaining and meaningful to them.

I have taught many of the students in this particular class four years in a row, in English 9, and then English 10, and then English 11, and many in Drama & Theatre and/or Advanced Writing, too. They're a great collection of human beings, and because I know them so well, saying goodbye has not been easy. My family and I attended several post-graduation open houses last night, and I spent over eight hours today traveling from house to house, responding to invitations to attend celebrations for graduates. I have a couple to attend tomorrow, too.

I hope for great things for these kiddos. They don't have to go on to fame and fortune, although good for them if they do. But I wish for them happiness and fulfillment in whatever careers they choose and whatever relationships they form. And I hope they return once in a while to say hello. I saw NUMEROUS alumni at the various houses I went to today and last night, and they all spoke of the nostalgia they now feel for high school--something they were all too eager to leave at the time of their graduation! One guy said, "If only I had appreciated it then like I do now." Perhaps this year's graduates will return someday to express similar sentiments of gratitude. Until then, I wish them good fortune. I'll miss you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment