Pages

Sunday, June 05, 2005

Musings at the Beginning of Summer

My last day of teaching for the school year was Thursday, June 2, and I had to report to work on Friday the 3rd for teacher workshops. I ALREADY MISS THE STUDENTS! In many ways, it will seem like a very long summer without them.

However, I've already started my summer course work at UND. I'm taking Statistics II (eeks!) for three weekends (Sunday 3:00-10:00 P.M. and Monday 8:00 A.M.-5:00 P.M., June 5-6, 12-13, and 19-20). Tonight was our first session. The instructor, Dr. Richard Landry, is a hoot and is VERY knowledgeable in his field. I took Statistics I last summer, so tonight's session meant dredging up my knowledge from that last course and putting some of it back into short-term memory. I have good group members for all the group work that we will have to do, so that should help.

Why won't it stop raining?! It doesn't feel much like summer when it's overcast and drizzly every day.

My father-in-law spent the weekend with us. It was good to see him again (we hadn't since Christmas), and the girls just LOVE seeing Grandpa.

The girls and I are in the play A Doll's House for the Nordic Initiative next week in Grand Forks, so we've had rehearsals for that the end of last week and this weekend. I'm off book now, so that's a major reduction in stress for me. Today we tried on costumes, and the girls look SO CUTE in their period costumes: dresses, furs, shawls, bonnets, boots, etc. And who looks more Nordic than they?!

I'll be spending time at the high school in June and July, putting in hours for an internship for my program at UND. Mr. Budge will be working with me on that. So it will be as though I never left the building for the summer. Sigh.

Now stop raining, weather!

3 comments:

  1. Are you going to feel like you even got a break (being at the school or at UND classes all summer)?
    ~Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it probably won't feel much like a summer vacation. But, alas, that's been my life the last several summers of UND course work.

    Are YOU ready to graduate?! How does one celebrate a high school graduation in England?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a Baccalaureate ceremony tonight (Thursday night) at which I sang "Please Remember" by LeAnn Rimes from Coyote Ugly...don't know if you've seen that movie? Good movie if you haven't. Anyway we move into graduation mode tomorrow...graduatino is tomorrow night at seven and is actually going to be on the web for family in the states to see which is cool, but we spend all day practicing at the Cathedral. Oh yeah...we graduate in a cathedral...how cool is that? Not a gym or icerink or football field...a historical monument!!! It's in Ely and I'll have to send you a picture of it! So we have that tomorrow night and my boyfriend is speaking (Valedictorian) then parties on Saturday.
    The boys (my brothers) will have school next week until thursday when we leave for ireland until sunday. THen monday grandparents 1 and brothers leave for texas and tuesday grandparent 2 leaves for new york.
    Sometime the begining of july mom dad mark and i are going to germany for a week then i leave for texas/arkansas on july 11th so the next couple weeks are packed!!!

    ReplyDelete