Pages

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Scenic Drive

We drove to Dad and Beverly's farm (near McGregor) today to spend the weekend. His birthday is Monday, so we thought we'd help him celebrate early with a visit and some gifts. The drive from Dickinson to McGregor takes us through the Killdeer Mountains, which are a beautiful enough sight on their own. Add to that the fact that the leaves are starting to turn colors as autumn takes hold, and you've got one darned scenic route north (and, on our return trip, south!).

I love the rolling hills and rugged badlands and treacherous turns (in the mountains) and distant lakes and meandering streams along the roads we take to Dad's. I irritated my family by pointing out every beautiful thing I saw, noting the yellow-leaved trees and the red ones and the orange ones and the maroon ones and the still-green ones, etc. I pointed out the different colors in the exposed layers of rock and soil in the badlands. I ooh-ed and aw-ed while driving over the Four Bears Bridge that spans two sides of Lake Sakakawea near New Town. I pointed out cattle and horses congregated on hilltops and alongside fences. I noted the freshly painted drilling rigs and pumping units here and there along the road.

The weather was so mild--in the high 70s--and the day so sunny and the scenery so pretty that I couldn't help but be in good spirits. We had supper with Beverly's family and had birthday cake afterwards. It was a good day. The weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow, too. I'll try to keep my yap shut about all the beauty outside as we drive. All the same, I'm glad that I do in fact notice that kind of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment