Pages

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Daddy's Dictionary

I realize that my off-the-cuff definition of "fortitude" isn't perhaps as accurate as it might have been, but it's what came to me at the moment. This interaction from this morning demonstrates the kind of responses the girls are used to getting from their father when they come to him with dilemmas that they ought to be able to resolve on their own. It also reveals their typical reaction to my sometimes bizarre advice. Ready? Read on:

HILLARY: (runs up to bathroom door, knocks, crying) Daddy, I can't find my sisters! What should I do?
ME: (in the shower, yelling back) Show fortitude!
HILLARY: (no pause) What does "fortitude" mean?
ME: Moral strength of character and persistence.
HILLARY: (no pause) Okay. (runs off)

No comments:

Post a Comment