Pages

Monday, January 01, 2007

Out with the Old, In with the New

Happy New Year! Are you making any resolutions for 2007? If so, remember to make them S.M.A.R.T. goals: specific, measurable, attainable, results-focused, and timely. Thus, "I will win the lottery" is not a good resolution. Instead, resolve something such as, "I will become wealthy by using the combination my parents gave me to their home safe to steal $1 million from it on October 5th when they're gone on vacation." Do you see how much better that is?

We rang out 2006 with a wonderful meal and some family time and rang in 2007 the same way. Last night Susan served us jumbo shrimp cocktail, baked French onion soup with gruyere cheese, twice-baked potatoes, torsk with melted butter, steamed broccoli, and Suzanna's birthday cake (carrot cake with cream cheese frosting) for dessert. The girls and I looked up "time zones" on the Internet and discussed the concept of 2007 moving westward from one time zone to the next. Then we gathered around a warm TV to watch televised New Year's Eve festivities around the country. We had thought we might whoop it up when the ball dropped in Times Square in New York City and then send the girls to bed (midnight there = 10:00 P.M. here). However, the girls stayed up until our midnight, at which time we toasted the new year (Susan and I with champagne, the girls with Shirley Temples) and then tucked them into bed.

This morning Susan served us scrambled eggs with cheese, applewood-smoked bacon, cream cheese Danish pastries, grapefruit, orange juice, and coffee. The girls and I will head over to Rocky Butte park (on a giant hill a couple blocks behind our house) to go sledding this afternoon. I return to work tomorrow, and the girls return to school on Wednesday, so we need to wring as much fun and togetherness as we can out of today!

P.S. Happy birthday today to Susan's dad, Roger!

P.P.S. Be sure to check out the Lutheran tidbit feature that I've added to the sidebar (to the right).

P.P.P.S. Share your reactions or thoughts! Click on "comments" below and let me know that you've been here. Don't be a lurker!

2 comments:

  1. You always have such amazing food! I think this poor college student is moving in! :)
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm refusing to make resolutions this year. Resolutions always seem to be broken. I am going to start setting goals--the difference being that goals don't necessarily have to be met by the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete