Pages

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Abigail's 8th Birthday!

Today's guest blogger is Abigail, the birthday girl:

I woke up, and right when I got upstairs, my mom saw me and asked if I wanted fried eggs for breakfast, and I said, "Yes, please." I went into the office, and Hillary and my dad were watching video clips of Hairspray on the computer. Hillary stole the first batch of eggs, so I had to wait my turn to get some more. I ate breakfast, and I went downstairs, washed up, and brushed my teeth. I had to go back upstairs to ask Mom what I should wear. I got into my black "A" [monogrammed] T-shirt and into my white skirt that goes with it. Mom had to pin up my skirt so that it would stay on me.

Then we went to Peace Lutheran Church. On the way there, the van made funny sounds, so my dad started to turn around. When he pressed on the brake, the sound stopped. We turned back around and went to church. When we first got there, a lady asked us girls if we wanted coloring sheets. We said, "No, thank you." We walked around the corner and saw that there were chairs lined up in rows like pews. There was a kids' time when we went up front, and we talked about one of the day's Bible readings about the stars in the sky [Genesis 15:1-6]. The Silver Sage Quartet [four elderly gentlemen singing in four-part harmony à la barbershop quartets] sang three songs of worship during church; one of the songs they sang was a prayer ["The Lord's Prayer"].

After church we were about to leave when a man came up to us and asked if we wanted to stay for coffee. Of course, we said, "Yes." So we chatted and met some new friends. We ate fruit and a roll; the grown-ups drank coffee, and we (meaning my sisters and I) drank orange punch. Then we went to Applebee's. I shared with Daddy because the meals were so big. We shared a tortilla chicken melt and teriyaki steak 'n' shrimp skewers. I told our server that it was my birthday, so after I was done with my meal, I got a balloon and a birthday sundae, and I got a birthday song from Applebee's.

Abigail, the beautiful eight-year-old

Her complimentary balloon and birthday sundae from Applebee's

We came back home, and I opened presents. From Grandpa and Grandma Moberg, I got an Eeyore pen, lotion, body spray, a dress, denim capris, and a T-shirt. From Hillary, I got a Littlest Pet Shop toy. From Suzanna, I got a Polly Pocket toy car. From Mom and Dad, I got a pink CD player [when she unwrapped it and saw what it was, she exclaimed, "Hot dog!"], a Hannah Montana soundtrack CD, a fuzzy bear bookmark, an anklet, and a toe ring. I got a greeting card and savings bond from my aunt, uncle, and cousin Cheryl, Jerrett, and Arron (with the rest of the gift to come, Cheryl wrote) and a card from our neighbors the Olsens.

"You talkin' to me?!" -- Suzanna being goofy while watching Abigail open gifts

Loving every gift she opened!

Stylish clothing from Grandma and Grandpa

"Thanks for the gifts, Dad and Mom!"

Negotiating the clasp on the ankle bracelet

Modeling the new jewelry

Then somebody ding-donged on the doorbell. It was our neighbor Jordanne. She came into our living room, and we listened to my Hannah Montana CD, and then we had some cake. Then she left, and we played with my birthday gifts. Then we went mini-golfing. It was the first time I ever mini-golfed--or golfed--in my lifetime. It was really fun. Daddy won the game.

With birthdays so close together, Daddy and Abigail shared one cake.

Pre-candle-blowout: Hillary, Daddy, Abigail, Jordanne, Suzanna

Suzanna perfecting her form

Abigail following through

Hillary averaging ten strokes per hole (maximum par on any hole in the course: four)

Then we went to Wal-Mart to exchange my birthday clothes to get bigger sizes. After that we went to Sanford's for supper. Daddy and I shared a Cajun chicken Caesar salad, and we all shared an appetizer (chili cheese fries). Then we had dessert (they brought me ice cream piled on top of a big cookie), and I got a birthday song from Sanford's.

Abigail with her monstrous birthday cookie sundae from Sanford's (she shared, by the way)

After that we started off to Belfield. When we got there, we had to wander a little bit to find the movie theater. When we got there, we were early, so we talked a little bit, and then Mom got two large bags of popcorn (they use real butter) and a root beer. We watched the movie Hairspray. It is a movie that features a time when blacks and whites didn't really go well together, and Tracy Turnblad makes them both friends. The movie was very, very exciting and nice, and there were really no scary parts to me. I really enjoyed it, especially because of all the great songs that people sang and the great acting. I thought that [the character] Seaweed was a very nice dancer.

After the movie, we were the last people out of the theater. We listened to the soundtrack from the movie on CD as we drove back to Dickinson. My eighth birthday was the best of all my birthdays because I got to see the best movie ever, and I spent the day with my family.

3 comments:

  1. I have to agree -- it was a wonderful movie and a terrific day! (Not suprising, since it was the special day for such a fun, energetic, loving little girl!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abigail - Happy Birthday - It sounds like you had a wonderful day. Thanks for sharing your day and the pictures with us.
    Love you. Great aunt Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! Wish I could share in the fun too! Happy Birthday Abigail. Watch the mail!!!! Love you all......Sandy

    ReplyDelete