Pages

Friday, August 24, 2007

A New (Academic) Year Dawns, Part II

The new semester at Dickinson State University began on Monday (August 20) at 3:00 P.M. The unit in which I work, the Academic Success Center, is responsible for orientation and registration of incoming students, something we did all day and all night both Sunday (for freshmen) and Monday (for transfer students). We spent all day and night Saturday and all day every day last week and most days the rest of the summer preparing for these students' arrival (in addition to hosting three other such sessions in June for the remainder of this fall's incoming students). Will you take my word for it when I say that it was a lot of work, both in preparation and execution, and that I was tired out, both physically and mentally, by the end of the day Monday?

Will you trust me also when I say that nothing slowed down for us Tuesday, Wednesday, yesterday, or today? A number of international students and late-deciding domestic students came to campus each day needing help signing up for classes and were sent to us for assistance. I also had meetings to attend, classes to prepare and teach, and faculty and staff across campus requesting my help and advice each day, too. One evening at home, Hillary got into her pajamas and wanted to cuddle on Susan and my bed before getting tucked into her own bed for the night. Hillary and I leaned against the pillows propped against the headboard to talk and snuggle . . . and I promptly fell asleep. Another night I lay on the living room floor to finish reading a magazine . . . and fell asleep underneath the lit floor lamp.

My point (and I do have one): it's been an exhausting week or so! Please comment with your expressions of sincere sympathy.

P.S. It has been a fun week, too, in that (1) I've met literally hundreds of new people, both students and their family members alike; (2) I've enjoyed collaborating with colleagues across campus on the various projects required to make orientation a success; and (3) I've liked getting to know better the new staff who just recently (i.e., last week) joined our unit and who showed great stamina, initiative, and personable instincts as they navigated the orientation program for new students without themselves knowing much yet about the university.

P.P.S. Read this.

1 comment:

  1. I am finding it hard to understand why time goes so much faster as an adult. It's already time for school....sheesh! Good luck in the new year to all of you!

    ReplyDelete