Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Slipping Away?

At 12:22 P.M. on Sunday, January 27, 2008, a boy phoned our home to ask our eldest daughter, Suzanna, out on a date. It's monumental and disconcerting.

Granted, he and she are good friends in the same fourth-grade class, so it's less of a romantic outing than a platonic play date. Susan is dropping Suzanna off at the Dickinson Recreation Center to meet her friend and his parents . . . and perhaps other friends of his--I don't know. They'll be ice skating in a public setting under the supervision of parental chaperones, not going by themselves to hear a jazz pianist at a cocktail bar late at night.

Still, something is clenching inside my chest.

(Listen to the words as Billy Ray Cyrus sings "Ready, Set, Don't Go.")

3 comments:

  1. I remember going with David Watterud and his Mom when I was about that age. Where we went, I can't remember. I think it was Powers Lake for some reason. And let me just revert back a little bit, "Eeww!...gross!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin, Remember how you gave me a hard time about Arron and his Ashley's (Ashlee's)? Oh, how the tables will turn, my friend, the tables will turn...(insert evil laugh here :o) I hope Suzanna had fun on her date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I feel your pain! I wish you luck and hope Suzanna has fun dating!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete