Pages

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

An Appeal from Lay Minister Moberg

Wednesdays are difficult for us. The girls have swim team practice from 4:00 to 6:00 P.M.; Hillary has church choir practice and Suzanna handbell choir practice at 6:30 P.M.; and Suzanna and Abigail have church choir practice from 7:00 to 7:45 P.M. If we try to eat supper between swimming and church events, we're usually thwarted by the fact that it takes the girls unpredictable amounts of time to shower after swimming so that they're sometimes ready at 6:00, sometimes at 6:25, etc. If we wait to eat supper until they're done with evening activities, it's 8:00 P.M., and we're all starving. We still don't have a solution.

Tonight I picked up the girls from swimming and took them to church where Susan was waiting for us with supper. For Watery Wednesday, she bought seafood subs from Subway. The girls' church choir director is out of town, so they didn't have practice tonight. However, Suzanna still had handbell choir practice, and she consumed only about four bites before I shooed her off to practice. (She finished her sandwich afterward.)

I had a Wednesday night obligation of my own at 7:00 P.M.: a meeting with one of our pastors. He asked five congregants to serve as lay speakers for Thursday night services during Lent, and he wanted to meet with us tonight to see if we have questions, to hear our plans for what we'll say, etc. I am to deliver a presentation of about 10 minutes on Isaiah 40:31 on March 19. In his written request for me to be a speaker, he included some possible speaking points, including ways to tie in what I say to the Walk to Jerusalem project that our congregation is participating in currently. I shared with him tonight what I'm planning for my talk, and he liked the direction that I'm taking.

Do you, Faithful Reader, have suggestions for my Lenten address to the congregation? Please read the verse and then leave a comment to share your ideas. Many thanks in advance.

1 comment:

  1. "but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

    This is probably not helpful... my thoughts are that this promise may not always manifest in ways that we can understand during life. I have seen way way way too much death in the past two years, of women too young..... my only peace is that their reward awaits them in a place I cannot yet comprehend.

    Good luck with your sermon.

    ReplyDelete