Pages

Saturday, March 14, 2009

Am I a Snow Bird?!

In 1993, Susan and I spent our honeymoon in Orlando, FL. In April 2007, I returned for two simultaneous conferences (presenting at one and attending the other). In November 2007, Susan and I surprised our daughters with a family vacation in Orlando. In March 2008, I returned to attend another conference. Do you know where I'm going with this, Faithful Reader? Yes, it's April 2009, and I'm in Orlando again for another conference! I'm coming here as regularly as a retiree! I have been here so frequently, in fact, that at the airport I notice each time what has been remodeled or refurbished since my last visit ("Oh, the new ceilings are in . . . that's new carpet . . . that wall didn't used to be there . . . ")!

I flew out of Dickinson yesterday before 6:00 A.M. and arrived in Orlando late in the afternoon (their time), making it to my hotel (the Rosen Centre) in time to check in, drop off my things, and find the conference venue for an opening reception. The Orange County Convention Center is a huge facility: over two million square feet! In fact, I spent a good half-hour walking around the wrong building (two enormous concourses, connected by a walkway, comprise the convention center) before figuring out where I was supposed to be. Even the west building, where our conference is, is huge; it takes a long time to get from one end to the other, let alone from one floor to another (and there are four floors). I followed the smell of the food, though, filled my belly, and returned to the hotel (also huge--I'm on the 18th floor, and there are another half-dozen floors above mine), conveniently located just across the street.

I'm attending the annual conference of the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development. At the first session this morning, I heard from the author of one of the textbooks I use for one of the courses I teach! I got some good ideas from him for using the book with my students. The other sessions today were valuable, too, though not led by such "big names" as the textbook author. (P.S. Goldie Hawn will co-present a session tomorrow on work done by a foundation in her name.)

It was a long day, but of course I just can't relax now that I'm in my hotel room--I brought along too much work to do! Yes, last night I graded some quizzes and compiled the results of some midterm feedback reports that I solicited from my students; tonight I will grade a set of midterm exams and type up the feedback from that class, and tomorrow I will repeat the process for another section of the course. Monday night I plan to work on a "sermon" that I'm delivering Thursday night at our church. And, of course, I brought along three books to read when I can find time on the plane, in the airport, between sessions, and before I fall asleep each night.

Some conference attendees are spending their nights "out on the town," but I can't wait to get back to my room to buckle down and get some of my work done. E-mails from friends and family who know that I'm here jealously ask how wonderful the weather is here, but how would I know? Except for the walks to and from the convention center, I'm inside all day and all night attending conference sessions or working. Spend 5 days in Orlando, FL and never once see the sights or dine out or go golfing but instead work the entire time? I guess I'm not a snow bird after all!

2 comments:

  1. You may not have as much work to do if you would buckle down whilst at home! (Hee hee!) Then you could relax after your sessions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No having fun when your family isn't along :-) Okay -- have a little fun!

    ReplyDelete