Pages

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

From 88 Degrees to 12 Degrees in a Day

Faithful readers will recall that, last fall, I attended a national conference in Harrisburg, PA and returned professionally invigorated and enlightened. I just had a similar experience, attending two national conferences--and making a presentation at one!--in Orlando, FL. An overview (replete with links for your further edification):

Sat., Mar. 31

Sun., Apr. 1

Mon., Apr. 2

  • Back to the International Plaza for ATP sessions on hosting a campus fair on college study skills and working with international students in a college learning center
  • I won a door prize: a coupon redeemable for a free trade title from Houghton Mifflin.
  • I gave my first presentation at a national conference (see this and this): "A Return on Your Investment: Tapping Already-Trained Tutors to Train New Tutors." It went well and was well received. Each presenter was given five tickets for the drawing for door prizes, and we were each told to distribute them at our presentations however we saw fit. I saw fit to stop occasionally and award a ticket to someone who could tell me one accurate thing he/she knew about North Dakota (this stemmed from my having been barraged with inaccuracies and misconceptions about our state each time someone asked me where I was from). I awarded people who knew the state capital, the mascot of the University of North Dakota, the location of the Enchanted Highway, the presence of many Mongolians at Dickinson State University, and the generosity of North Dakota to its Grand Forks citizens after the Red River's flooding in 1997.

Tue., Apr. 3

  • Remain at the Marriott for ACPA/NASPA sessions on assessing campus advising and tutorial services, preventing international students' academic dishonesty, teaching freshman initiation courses with a strengths-based approach, and determining the key factors underlying student success
  • This evening, the vice president for student development at our university treated me and a few others from DSU to a supper at Hawk's Landing Steakhouse and Grille, where we had appetizers (crab cakes, mushrooms, beef medallions, scallops), cocktails (me: whiskey neat), delicious meals (me: yellow-tailed snapper in lobster sauce over sautéed fennel with asparagus in hollandaise sauce), and dessert (me: key lime pie).

Wed., Apr. 4

  • Check out, return the rental car, and fly from Orlando to Denver to Dickinson
  • A colleague from DSU happened to be on my flights both ways, so he was good company during layovers and on the rides to and from the airports. A third colleague joined us between ACPA/NASPA conference events for meals and socialization, and a fourth colleague joined me and the first on our flight back to Denver.
  • It was 88 degrees Fahreheit in Orlando when I left and 12 degrees in Dickinson when I returned tonight. Still, despite enjoying the conferences, the food, the weather, and the good company in Orlando, it's good to be home.

P.S. A week from Friday, I fly to Denver, CO to present at my second national conference! Watch "Pensive? No, Just Thinking" for more details forthcoming.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I didn't know that you were Florida bound already! Actually I had forgotten about it. I bet that was nice. You've become a seasoned airline traveler by now! Especially after you've made your Colorado trip. Very interesting! Sandy

    ReplyDelete