Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Going, Going, Ghana . . .

Susan's cousin Mary continues to teach and travel in Ghana. Recently she toured neighboring Ivory Coast and then in Ghana the somber slave trading forts of Cape Coast and Elmina, otherwise beautiful and "laid back" fishing towns. The sites on her tours have featured monkeys, elephants, hippos, crocodiles, beaches with "pure white sand," weather that is "insanely hot," uneven electrical service, drumming and dancing, and lots of friendly people. In her own words:

"Tonight is a big party in town for the vocational school graduation. I am so tired, but it should be fun. This week I will head north and see more national parks and a huge waterfall. I am excited, but I need a few good nights' sleep before I will be ready. Traveling here is not for the weak because it is insanely hot, and there are many mosquitoes and rarely running water or electricity. It can really wear you out. Also, I don't know what is going to happen when I leave for good because everyone here in town gets very upset when I leave for a few days. My cell phone was ringing off the hook with people wondering when I was coming home."

1 comment:

  1. I find it very interesting that I have to read YOUR blog to find out what MY cousin is doing in Africa! It does sound like an amazing experience, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete