Pages

Friday, April 06, 2007

Bedroom Redesign

Faithful readers will recall the arrival last month of comfy reading chairs and ottomans (ottomen?) for the bedrooms of Abigail and Suzanna. Today Hillary's chair and ottoman finally arrived. Moving that furniture in required some rearranging of her bed and side table to make room, and that work inspired even more work: tackling the stacks of clothes packed into and stacked atop plastic storage tubs in her closet. Hillary was a very patient and willing fashion model, trying on every stitch of clothing (minus the socks, underwear, and pajamas) in her dresser and on her closet rod and in her storage crates (turned on their sides and stacked within her closet as an impromptu shelving system) and within the plastic tubs so that we could set aside what was too small and categorize and reorganize what fit or would soon fit.

Tidy now are her dresser drawers, her hanging clothes, and her stacks of like items in the crates and on the shelves in her closet. Down side: her forehead hurt from having so many shirts slip on and off her head throughout the afternoon. Plus side: her room is well organized and now features a huge, inviting chair for cuddling up with a book and, perhaps, a sister or parent. (Or a relative or friend. Any takers out there?)

2 comments:

  1. Pick me, pick me! I like to read books too! Or just cuddle with little girls named Hillary!;) My closet and clothes could use a little more organization as well. Maybe before I move into a house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I wish I were near enough to snuggle my favorite Hillary in her new chair. I imagine she would be reading to me now!

    Question, as you were organizing the closet, did you do the Cathy anal thing and hang them in ROYGBIV order? Most of my friends feel my traces of OCD are a bit TOO extreme in my closet organization. I'll spare you the details of my movie and music organizational system, but think organizing one's clothes by color is very logical. I am not a morning person so when I am peering through bleary eyes it's much easier to go to the blue section if I need a blue shirt than paw through everything. I recently brought 3 suitcases of clothes to a consignment store (hate it when my clothes get too big) and noticed I'd sorted them by color as I hung them up. I was starting to come to terms with my 'problem' until I noticed the store owners sort the clothes first by size and then by color! If it weren't so far away I would have asked for a job! My clothes organizing issues have lessened. There was a time the hangers were also color coded. Pink hangers for casual wear, blue for business. I know, I should seek a 12 step group for my problem. :o)

    ReplyDelete