Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Our Family's Dæmons

A couple summers ago, a former student lent me the His Dark Materials series of books by Philip Pullman, and I loved them. How excited was I to learn that a movie version of the first book, The Golden Compass, is coming out in December?! It stars Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig, and it promises to bring to life the fantasy world of the series of books in which the young girl Lyra experiences incredible world-saving adventures.

The movie's Web site has more information (including a movie trailer) and several fun features, including one that allows visitors to take a survey and learn what their dæmon would be were they to live in Lyra's world (in which people's souls do not exist inside their bodies but rather outside in the form of a dæmon, which takes the shape of a particular animal to reflect something about the person's nature). Susan and I learned what our dæmons are, and we answered the questions about our children, too, to see what their dæmons would be. Here are the results:

Kevin's dæmon



Susan's dæmon



Suzanna's dæmon



Abigail's dæmon



Hillary's dæmon

2 comments:

  1. hmmm....quite interesting....dare I look at mine?>>>>>>..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I'm not familiar with the books but I had to see what my Daemon would be. I 'look' like Kevin's but our traits are not the same. Check out Cathy's Daemon Agapius.

    http://www.goldencompassmovie.com/?57611

    ReplyDelete