Pages

Friday, April 20, 2007

National Library Week

Yes, dear reader, as I'm sure you already know, National Library Week is drawing to a close. A librarian herself, Susan put up posters and balloons around her school to announce the celebration. She offered bookmarks to all students who checked out books or paid fines this week, and today was "Half-Price Fine Day"--yes, pay your overdue book fines today, and you can keep for yourself half the money owed!

The Stoxen Library at Dickinson State University celebrated the week, too, with various events and displays. I entered my name in a drawing that they held today, and lo and behold: I won something! It's a spanking-new copy of the book The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice Millard. (Read also this and this.) Millard was a featured participant in this past fall's Theodore Roosevelt Symposium at DSU. One of the librarians, when handing over the book to me, asked if I would agree to sell it to her when I am done reading it. (I offered simply to give it to her instead.) Judging by the librarians' reactions and the critics' reviews, the book promises to be a good read.

Quickly--before National Library Week ends tomorrow--get yourself to a public library (perhaps this one?) and use its free services and be grateful for such ready access to such a wealth of information and resources. We take for granted--and, often, do not even use--the treasures that, to others in the world, are only to be dreamed of. Stay smart and, thus, interesting; read a book. He/she who does not read is not only bored but also boring.

1 comment:

  1. And for those of you who missed it -- Wednesday was "Thank you, School Librarian!" Day!!! (Yes, it is a real "day.") I was thanked by several students (who looked at the "librarian" desk calendar I've got on my desk, which sits in the middle of the library) -- and one of them even brought me a carmel latte and a chocolate bar! It's not too late -- thank your school librarian today :-)

    ReplyDelete