Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Aren't You Ghana Drink That Whiskey?

My new obsession: my wife's cousin's updates on her adventures teaching middle schoolers in Ghana. I don't even know the whole story of why she chose to go there, how long she will be there, who is sponsoring her being there, etc. I just know that when she e-mails an update--or when her mom forwards one of hers to me--I'm rapt.

Mary, until I hear from you that I have no permission to do this, I'm going to include some excerpts from your on-going tale of living, learning, and teaching in Africa. Readers, enjoy:

Evidently some American friends and relatives sent supplies and money to Mary to use for the good of the town she's in in Ghana. "I have been talking about the money with the social worker in town, and we decided to use some of it to pay for students' school fees. Some students, the poorest of the poor and the orphans, come to the social welfare office and ask for money. The social worker then goes to the school and pays the fees if she has any funds. She hasn't had any money for a long time and is unbelievably happy to be able to help the students now with the money you raised. One boy whose fees I paid came to my house last night to thank me. He was in his final year, and all he needed was the fees for his final exams and he could get his diploma. He started crying, and then I actually started crying, and it was really sad. But that boy is happy and can graduate now because of you!"

"I spent Sunday with Nick at a fishing village on the coast and got to swim in the ocean and lie on the beach. It was good to have a relaxing day for once! That village was gorgeous but primitive. The children there would run after us and yell, "Hello! Give me money!" over and over. I swear, some days I feel like I am trapped in an episode of National Geographic and can't get out!"

"I went to a funeral the other day, and that was amazing. Ghana's burial rites are insane! The body of the person is propped up in a chair in the center of the village. The visitors have to go from hut to hut and say hello to everyone, and people get super offended if you pass them. Nick and I were invited into the elders' hut, which is an honor, and given shots of Akateshi or African whiskey. It is insanely strong. I literally was wasted in about ten minutes and even spit some of the whiskey out all over the ground. Nick pretty much had to carry me out of the hut. Then it got really nuts. The drumming and dancing started and lasted for hours. It was a huge party. Funerals here are 'life celebrations,' and the mood is very festive. Ghana is famous for the coffins they make, and they are unbelievable. They make each coffin according to the individual's life and personality, and they are super intricate and artistic. For example, if you are a fisherman, it might even be in the shape of a fish or have carvings on the side of the ocean and boats, etc."

"The winds here have been strong and blow sand from the Sahara Desert. It is murder on your eyes so I have been staying indoors a lot."

3 comments:

  1. Hey Kevin I thought I would fill you in a bit. Mary's been talking about volunteering abroad since she graduated 2 years ago, she didn't know what she wanted to do exactly or what program to go through. She ended up choosing a program to that involved teaching since she graduated with an English degree and likes working with kids. And she decided to turn down Peace Corps since 2 years was a long time to commit. She went in thinking she'd be teaching 5 year olds and ended up with a classroom of 6th, 7th and 8th graders. The program she chose actually is paid for by the volunteers, and then the organization takes care of their housing and working situations. We get to occasionally talk to her on the phone and have learned that the Taxi's there often transport chickens, goats etc. even without someone getting on with them. So it is definitely a culture she is still getting used to. She's there for 12 weeks total and is set to return in the middle of May. However who knows, she may opt to travel or stay longer.

    I'll make sure the emails keep getting forwarded to you. She won't mind about the information being posted so post freely (I'll even take the blame if necessary;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the details, Anna. I find her reports from Ghana fascinating, and I think it's very admirable for her to be volunteering abroad. (And thanks for shouldering the blame!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin - I don't want to be called a lurker and also wanted to thank you for the terrific updates on your family as well as ours. I have told all my kids about your blog and I look forward to checking it often. I am not sure who is responsible for the new web page for THS - but terrific job. Thanks again & know I will keep reading.

    ReplyDelete