Pages

Thursday, July 05, 2007

I Don't Wanna Grow Up

We have a fine-sized back yard with plenty of room for frolicking, cavorting, and general playing. Why, then, do we find ourselves so often of a summer's eve (no, not this) doing all those things on the driveway/in the front yard?

The girls like to do gymnastics (they're taking lessons this summer) in the grass and ride bicycle or play basketball (more summertime lessons) on the driveway while Susan and I tend the lawn and flowers or sit in the bench alongside the house, pet the neighbors' cats (who visit us regularly), and watch/provide commentary on the children's activities.

Sometimes, however, even the adults get involved: playing tag, chasing children, helping with bike-riding lessons, playing catch, rebounding basketballs, or--tonight--playing keepaway with a softball on the driveway. Shouldn't we adults have the sense to remove ourselves from the public eye and retire to the back yard when participating in silliness? What must the neighbors think?

2 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you both still enjoy "frolicking" with your children. On the 4th of July, my parents, brother and his wife, and their kids were laughing at the fact that I had to buy at least three boxes of Sparklers for my own entertainment. I love to run around the yard twirling with them, and spelling my name out with them. Please note, that pretending you have a halo (as my niece did) doesn't work with sparks flying about. Luckily, nobody was hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's pretty rare to see parents playing with their children anywhere! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete