Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Hillary's Birthday

Our baby is six years old! She and her sisters had a slumber party in Suzanna's bedroom downstairs last night, and they were all still sleeping when I left for work, so Susan instant-messaged me at work and took dictation from Hillary once she woke up. Some highlights:

"I love you, Daddy!"

"I asked Abigail not to put her feet on me so that I could go back to sleep, but she wouldn't listen to a six-year-old's commands."

"Look what happened to my foot! It grew bigger! Must be because I'm six."

Faithful readers will recall that Hillary has been learning to ride a bike without training wheels, having gone straight from a tricycle to a bike. Well, she's done it: she's now an independent bicycle rider! So many other things that she does she now does because she's six years old (e.g., "See, Dad? I'm not fussing about ___ because I'm six now" or "Look, Mom--I can ___ because I'm six now").

She will have a birthday party with friends next week, so today was all about hanging out with her family. While I was at work, she opened some gifts and got to request what Susan would make for dinner at noon (macaroni and cheese). When I got home, we went to Hillary's choice of restaurant for supper: El Sombrero, a local Mexican eatery that we enjoy. Susan's dad joined us there and then returned with us to our home for birthday cake (angel food cake topped with whipped cream and strawberries). There was more gift opening and general delight-taking in the fact that we have Hillary in our family and lives (our general attitude toward all family members on their birthdays, by the way).

Does she look six to you? She got to request breakfast: homemade ice cream caramel rolls.

Hillary told the server at El Sombrero that it was her birthday, so the server brought her some fried ice cream for dessert. Hillary shared it with everybody at our table--had to save room for birthday cake at home, you know.

Grandpa Gustafson is such a good sport, letting Abigail dress him up.

Hillary blows out the six candles poked into her individual slice of birthday cake. I hope all your wishes come true, sweetie!

1 comment:

  1. Makes me giggle just looking at the fun photos! And I really love her new hair style....it is so darling. Happy belated birthday Hillary! Your gift should arrive tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete