Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Summer Wedding #1

It was a beautiful afternoon's drive from Dickinson, ND to my aunt Penny's farm north of Tioga, ND: north on Highway 22 through Manning and Killdeer and past Mandaree [see this and click on its slideshow]; east on Highway 23 through New Town; north onto Highway 1804, which curves west; north on Highway 21; east on Highway 2; and north on Highway 40 through Tioga and on toward the gravel road turnoff west a couple miles to Penny's [see this and try to trace my path yourself!].

I made the trip to attend the wedding of my cousin Jerry to his fiancée Kim. They had their wedding outdoors at Jerry's mom Penny's farm (where Jerry grew up, of course, and where he and Kim now live, too, in their own home [formerly Jerry's grandpa's house] on the same farm). God and Mother Nature worked together to provide a lovely afternoon/evening/night for the outdoor festivities. Jerry and Kim got married beneath an arch against the evergreens on the west side of Penny's yard while the congregation sat on long planks atop straw bales. A church bell choir provided much of the music and was set up off to one side; on the other side were the keyboard and guitar used by the other musicians.

Behind the garage, our cousins Joel and Jeff barbecued the meat (burgers and bratwursts) for supper, which was served afterwards from long tables set up in the garage. We ate at tables set up on Penny's driveway and in the yard near Jerry and Kim's house. Once the eating was done and the band started playing, they moved tables to clear most of Penny's driveway to serve as a dance floor. Some tables remained, and we were able to sit there and visit or stand in the garage and talk while nibbling on baked goods and wedding cake and drinking punch.

With Susan and the girls in Grand Forks, ND tonight for her cousin's wedding (keep an eye on the blog for details soon on that one, too), I was alone . . . and camera-less. I borrowed Dad's and snapped away all night. Some highlights:

Kim's son C.J. gave her away to Jerry. It is Penny whose back is to the camera.

My cousin Jerry. He (two years younger than I) and his brother Darren (the same age as I) were the closest thing to brothers that I ever had, and I spent a lot of time with them at their house growing up.

My cousin Brenda (far right, Jerry's sister) and her daughters (Rachelle, Meghan, and Katrina) sang for the wedding.

Newlyweds!

The wedding party gathered for a toast in front of the flatbed trailer upon which the band performed shortly thereafter.

My dad (in purple) and his surviving siblings: Ray and Shine in the back and Penny and Rose in the front

Me with my uncle Ray. My grandma (his mom) always used to call me "Ray," and when Ray is around, my dad still calls me by his name and him by my name. Dad says Ray and I are a lot alike. Resemblance? Personality? I don't know. Anyone care to chime in?

All the Moberg first cousins in attendance: in the back are Jeff, Darren, Jerry, me, and Joel; in the front are Laura, Brenda, Myrna, Marsha, and Sheri.

I saved the best for last: my cousins Myrna and Joel (siblings) not acting their age!

1 comment:

  1. Yea!! Pictures from the wedding. I hope to see more. I sure wish I could have gone. The weddings on the Moberg side are always a tale to tell!

    ReplyDelete