Pages

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Fickle Hand of Fate, Part the Third

The RV park/motel has laundry facilities, and Susan used them to wash the pukey clothes from yesterday's journey. My sister Sandy and I had gone to a convenience store last night to buy laundry soap as well as some orange juice and Pop-Tarts for today's breakfast. This morning, however, Dad sent Sandy, Susan, and the girls to McDonald's to buy breakfast for everybody. Outside that restaurant, Abigail vomited. They brought the food back to the motel, and we gathered at two picnic tables outside to eat. On my way out of the room, I slammed my finger in the door. This trip is cursed (see Parts the Second and First).

To review: we're here in Colorado Springs to attend a party to celebrate my aunt and uncle Rose and Elton's 50th wedding anniversary. Their children Randy, Renae, Johnny, and JoAnn (and spouses) organized the event and invited my sisters, Susan, and me to perform a song for the program at the party (we chose "Remember When," popularized by Alan Jackson). Wanting at least one rehearsal together before performing at the actual party, we got Renae's husband Steve to come to the motel and drive us to Johnny's house, where we got a tour before Johnny's wife Judy led us to the hall they reserved at Colorado College for the party.

On the way back to the motel afterwards, a jerk who performed an illegal traffic maneuver blamed the difficulty of carrying out that driving offense on my sister and let loose with some verbal road rage while we were all parked at a traffic light. However, that was the last of our bad luck for the day. We gussied up for the party, returned to the hall on campus, and had an absolutely wonderful evening. My sister has written about it here and here. Here are some additional photos:

Rose and Elton are clearly still in love after 50 years!

Dad's sister Rose

Rose and Dad's sister Penny

Dad

Dad, Penny, Rose, Elton, and Elton's brother Jerome

Rose with her and Dad's uncle and aunt Bert and Bea (Bea is sister to my grandma Olga, Dad and Rose's mom)

My sister Cathy, Dad, Beverly, Susan, me, my sister Sandy, and Hillary, Abigail, and Suzanna

Me and my girls!

3 comments:

  1. I was so looking forward to the blog from this vacation! I was somewhat surprised that there weren't any expletives used in this oh-so-memorable experience! The photos are precious, however. Some of them, I don't have. I would like copies of what ever you have if at all possible! Thanks,,,,Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trip sounds like a "typical" family vacation that you would see on a sitcom. Everything that can go wrong does, but you're with family so it makes it all tolerable. Kevin, is that a shirt and tie from your favorite sister-in-law?

    ReplyDelete
  3. (about the shirt/tie:) You know it, Cheryl!!

    ReplyDelete