Pages

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Backyard Flowers

This afternoon the girls wanted to "go for some exercise" and ended up jogging around the block and taking bicycle rides around the neighborhood. They got out their iPods and MP3 players so that they could listen to music as they got fit. Late in the afternoon, when I went outside to fire up the grill for supper, I stepped into an eerie scene from a Salvador DalĂ­ painting: three little blondies draped limply upon the grass of the back yard and across the furniture on the veranda. They were all perfectly still, each one staring off blankly into space, and no one reacting to me as I walked past her to the grill and then back into the house. Apparently they were recuperating from the workout by lounging about in the shade and listening to their music. However, because they were wearing headphones and earbuds, their music was audible only to them, not to me. From my perspective, it was a silent scene from some zombie movie.

They livened up for supper, however: grilled pork chops with barbecue sauce (ordered from my sister), potato packets steamed on the grill, leftover cabbage and beets from last night, and ice cream sundaes for dessert. We ate on the veranda, enjoying the slight breeze and the beautiful sight of our backyard flowers:

3 comments:

  1. They are all quite lovely --and the best part is that they're all annuals. I really like the pink & white ones, but they're all very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhhh.....so pretty!! The pink ones look like Sweet Williams...(?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should say that photos 3 & 4 look like S.W.

    ReplyDelete