Pages

Sunday, June 07, 2009

Italian Supper Courtesy of Suzanna!

Faithful Reader, I already told you that Suzanna, our 11-year-old daughter, asked us several days ago if she could prepare this evening's supper by herself. She found the recipes that she wanted to make, and I took her grocery shopping a couple days ago. She made one of the items yesterday afternoon (a salad that we thought would taste better after the flavors of the ingredients had time to meld) and the rest this afternoon. Susan was on hand to answer the occasional question, get down dishes from hard-to-reach shelves, and get things into and out of the hot oven--but otherwise Suzanna did it all on her own: chopping, grating, mixing, opening, adding, slicing, ladling, pouring, scooping, decorating, serving, and cleaning. She did a terrific job, and it was a fantastic meal. Here are more details from the chef herself:

Here is the cold pasta salad that Suzanna made yesterday. It has whole-grain thin spaghetti and chopped raw vegetables tossed in Italian dressing and topped with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Isn't it attractive? And it's delicious and nutritious, too.

Suzanna baked and sliced two crusty loaves of bread and placed a couple broiled Italian meatballs on top. Here she is ladling marinara sauce over the meatballs (after which she sprinkled mozzarella cheese on top before serving). It tasted terrific!

Sorry--I just had to take a bite of the sandwich before I snapped a photo.

For dessert, Suzanna created "mice cream": a scoop of vanilla ice cream in a single-serving graham crust decorated to look like a mouse. Ears = Thin Mint cookies from the Girl Scouts; eyes and nose = M&M's; whiskers = chocolate jimmies; mouth and tail = Twizzlers

5 comments:

  1. Suzanna, that's awesome! Only 11 years old and already a much better cook than your aunt.
    Perhaps you should come to NC and be our personal chef/nanny!

    auntie cassie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassie -- don't make such offers unless you REALLY meant it, because she WILL take you up on it!

    The meal was DELICIOUS -- I think we'll add Suzanna to the regular roster of cooks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds and looks very tasty! I was wondering how long Kevin was going to pester her when she was in the middle of preparing the food! She had a great answer at the end...."....if you want supper anytime soon!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! You could cook for me anytime, Suzanna! The "Silly Snacks" cookbook is one of two that I brought to you girls, last Christmas. I can't think of the title of the other book right now, but that's where it's from.
    I'm impressed and proud of you...and now I'm hungry! Gotta go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I thought I might have gifted the Silly Snacks, but guess not. I know I've given a few kid cookbooks to the household and am sure they are equally loved. I think Suzanna did a GREAT job planning and preparing the meal. Sounds like it should be a regular occurance. I don't remember the exact age, but in our 3 kid household each member of the family was responsible for planning a meal (Monday - Friday). Dad always got Fridays and we either had hot dogs or frozen pizza (he wasn't quite up to Kevin's level, although he did win 3rd place in his division in the Pillsbury Bakeoff as a teen, but that's another story). Anyway, my brothers and I would pick a night and plan the menu. Mom would make sure we had the ingredients and help as needed with prep. The kids would get home before mom and dad, so depending on the meal we could have much of it ready when they walked in. It was great fun and we all learned to cook. Can't wait to see more kitchen adventures at the Mobergs!

    ReplyDelete