Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Get Outta Here

I deliver the girls to their schools each morning, and Susan picks them up each afternoon and shuttles them to dance or takes them home, depending on the day. (On Fridays after piano lessons on campus, I take them home.) When I drop off Suzanna and Abigail at their school, they give me smooches, collect their backpacks, get out, and walk themselves into the school as I drive away. When arriving at Hillary's school, I have usually parked, shut off the vehicle, gone around and opened Hillary's door for her, offered to carry her backpack, walked her in to hang up her backpack, walked her to the playground, and waited there for the playground supervisor to arrive before smooching Hillary and then leaving.

Well, as the year has progressed, that routine with Hillary has evolved into more independence for her. She is fully aware of her upcoming sixth birthday, and she wants to be "a big girl" in many ways. Most recently she has had me leave the vehicle running while I come around to open her door, smooch her at the vehicle, and then watch her walk herself inside the fence (around the playground) before I drive off. Last night she mastered the trick of opening the sometimes-uncooperative passenger-side rear door from the inside all by herself (it requires throwing one's weight at just the right spot on the door while pulling the handle at just the right angle), so this morning she wanted to do everything just as her sisters do: Dad pulls up to the sidewalk; Daughter unbuckles, leans forward, smooches and hugs Dad, and exchanges wishes for a good day; Daughter grabs backpack and gets out of vehicle; Daughter walks self into school.

All went well, and I watched with pride touched with a bit of sadness at the continuing loss of Hillary's five-year-oldness. Still, I remained at the sidewalk to watch her maneuver through the gate and make her way into the school. But she didn't give me that opportunity. For me to do what I do with the other girls, I needed to drive away as she was walking, not wait around to watch her get inside the building. Here's how she reminded me to do that:

"You can just leave now."

And I drove away.

(The Tom Hanks movie Big was made into a musical featuring a beautiful song called "Stop, Time." In it a mother reflecting on her son's growing up wishes that she could stop time, singing, "Nobody warns you of this parent's paradox: You want your kids to change and grow, but when they do, another child you've just begun to know leaves forever.")

4 comments:

  1. Who gave my baby permission to grow up? It is funny how everything lately has been, "I can do THIS now, because I'm almost six." This morning, it was "I can do my own hair now, because I'm almost six." Except Mommy's not quite ready to have her leave the house and be seen by other people when she's done her own hair...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most days I check your blog so I can get a good chuckle reading about my girls. Today I felt a tear well up in my eye. Was it really so long ago when I held a precious Hillary in my arms (only a few hours old) and she whispered that she'd like me to be one of her godmothers? I recall cuddling each baby Moberg and marveling as they 'grew up' at an alarming pace. But not our baby Hillary! Sigh, I guess that means I need to grow up as well. I REFUSE! I will always be Cafey Picer and ready to jump into a rousing game of Pocahontas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, who will play John Sniff to your Pocahontas? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, well, for crying out loud! Literally! I find myself "tearing" up just reading all of the comments. :0 My opinion on the girls all growing up?....it doesn't seem possible that any of the girls should be as old as they are! I'm sure it won't be long before "Aunty Thandy" turns into "Aunt Sandy."
    I love them anyway....no matter what they call me!

    ReplyDelete