Pages

Friday, May 04, 2007

Lunch with My Wife

Today I had lunch with my wife. I have the kind of job now that allows me to leave for lunch--and to schedule lunch whenever in the day I'd like to take it. So I arranged to join Susan at her school during their lunch period. Susan paid for me and showed me the procedures for cutting in line ahead of the students (a perk of being a teacher) and getting food.

We sat at a table in the cafeteria with other teachers but surrounded by tables filled with students, which is a change for me. At other schools, I'm accustomed to the teachers' taking their food off to a teachers' lounge to dine together sans students. This setup allowed one teacher sitting at our table to interrupt her conversation periodically to call out the names of students whom she saw across the lunch room horsing around or running or otherwise behaving like "mongrels" (her word, not mine).

The meal was pretty good: spaghetti, garlic bread, salad, milk, and pumpkin bars. I left full, so the meal served its purpose. Afterward Susan's students told her they thought it was "sweet" that I would join her for lunch. And, yes, it was sweet of me. She's so lucky.

2 comments:

  1. Some might argue that YOU are a very lucky man ;-) I'd have to agree -- for both of us :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree too. Lunch with the one you love is great. I am amazed, however, that you had a good lunch at a school. I thought all school cafeterias were supposed to be awful! I guess you're both lucky.

    ReplyDelete