Pages

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Life Canon

I belong to a listserve on which a current thread for discussion is, "What books would you suggest for a 'life canon'--books that every college student should read before graduating?" Have you read or heard anything good, bad, or otherwise about any of the suggestions that colleagues have been offering on the list?

Douglass, Frederick, Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave

FariƱa, Richard, Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me

Pirsig, Robert, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Vonnegut, Kurt, Slaughterhouse-Five

Yourcenar, Marguerite, Memoirs of Hadrian

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps I'll make it a summer project to read each of these books so I can make an informed comment. However, I will have to order two of the books through interlibrary loan, because they are not available in Dickinson! (And I checked both high schools, the public library, and the college!)

    ReplyDelete