Pages

Sunday, September 09, 2007

A New Home for Us

Today at St. John Lutheran Church was Rally Sunday--the day each September that the church kicks off its fall worship and class schedule. Various series of classes for adults and families (on becoming new members, on being good stewards, on studying the Bible, on strengthening one's marriage, etc.) will begin soon. Today also marked the return to the school-year schedule of worship services: one at 8:00 A.M. and one at 10:30 A.M., leaving time in between for coffee at 9:00 A.M. and Sunday school at 9:15 A.M.

Because Sunday school doesn't begin until next week, that interim span of time today was dedicated to "rallying" parents to sign up their children for Sunday school. The lawn on the west and south sides of the church was set up with a gigantic inflatable slide and another inflatable castle for children to play on and in while their parents approached the tables set up on the lawn to register children for Sunday school, to get a doughnut, to see photos from a recent church mission trip, and then to visit in the beautiful, cool, end-of-summer/beginning-of-autumn morning weather.

We "rallied" up our courage, too, to fill in the paperwork to become members of St. John. Related dates to add to our calendar:
  • Wed., Oct. 10, 7:00 P.M. -- new member information session: learn about the history of St. John, meet the staff and clergy, meet other new members
  • Wed., Oct. 24, 6:00 P.M. -- pizza with the pastors: casual meal with time for conversation and a special service project
  • Sun., Oct. 28, 9:50 A.M. -- new member reception and introduction to sponsors, followed by welcome to the church during 10:30 A.M. service

Although St. John is no Calvary Lutheran Church, our beloved church that we left behind when we moved to Dickinson, it does seem to be a good church with active members and plenty of programs to encourage and nurture one's faith. (Calvary just has such energy--from its young and old members alike--and optimism and an innovative perspective on serving its members, the community, and the world. When we told our friend and fellow Calvary member, Judd, last weekend that "St. John is no Calvary," he said, "No church is like Calvary.") Susan's grandma, Laura, is a member of St. John, as are several of my colleagues from the university. It seems, too, that each time we attend a service, we note more people whom we recognize from the girls' school or as parents of the girls' friends. After a year of sampling and delaying, we're looking forward to having, finally, a church home in Dickinson.

P.S. With five simple words following church today, Suzanna resurrected a tradition from our years at Calvary: the weekly post-church dining-out experience. On our way back to the vehicle this morning, Suzanna asked, "May we go to Jack's?" Jack's Family Restaurant and Catering is a great little place, not far from the university, that Susan remembers fondly from her childhood when her aunts would take her there for a treat. Years ago it had drive-up service, but now it's a sit-down restaurant with surprisingly tasteful rooster decor throughout and a decidedly "small town café" feel about it, including a seat-yourself-if-you-can-find-an-available-table policy (even if the table is currently dirty--the server will clear it off once she finally gets around to bringing glasses of water and menus to the table).

I've enjoyed Jack's ever since my days of first dating Susan; each trip back to Dickinson from then on included a stop at Jack's for a bowl of their homemade borscht (their version: a creamy ham and vegetable soup with cabbage and just enough beets for color) and a Jack's burger (essentially a cheeseburger with Thousand Island dressing and coleslaw on it). Those items were on our table today, too, along with broasted chicken and potato salad for me (two more items that Jack's does exceptionally well). Jack's never has enough servers on staff, so the wait to get a menu and place an order can test one's patience. However, the food always arrives quickly thereafter, and it's always delicious and satisfying.

By the way, does anybody who knows us fairly well recall our daughters' favorite restaurant to go to after a Calvary service? Not-terribly-helpful-hint: It's a restaurant that Dickinson does not have. Click "comments" below to venture a guess. The winner gets a bowl of borscht at Jack's. (Susan, you do not qualify to play.)

13 comments:

  1. I'm going to take a stab. Was it the Mexican one that my dad, john and I met Susan and the girls at before the wedding this summer? For some reason I think the name started with a P and was close to Paradise. (can you tell I didn't study spanish?). I think the girls told me this, but I could be wrong:)

    I'll pass up the borscht to the next person who comments. My grandma makes it frequently and I am the odd duck of the family who is not a fan (of borscht or soup in general:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok....I believe the favorite dining experience for the girls had to be the "Blue Moose". I remember that place. Did I get it???????????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna, we did enjoy the occasional Sunday dinner at Paradiso, a Mexican restaurant (commercials: "Chips are free--dinner extra!" said with an Hispanic accent) that offered children's meals for free on Sundays.

    Sandy, we also enjoyed the Blue Moose (commercials: "A place . . . in East Grand Forks" said in a smoky, sultry voice), which eventually moved to serving a brunch buffet on Sundays, meaning everybody could find something to their likings.

    Alas, neither of you is correct. No borscht for you! (Recognize the Seinfeld allusion there?!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay -- no fair that I can't play!! But -- Anna, if your grandma would be willing to share her borscht recipe, I'd love to have it :-) I've tried to make it a couple of times, but neither of my attempts were "just right."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...My two guesses are Boston's and Panda Buffet.

    I'm going to take a chance and say Panda.

    If I win, does that mean you will come back to GF and HAVE brunch after church with us there?

    e

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will ask my grandma for the recipe and pass it on your way:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok........how about the Italian Moon? I don't remember going there but you've talked about it.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erin, Boston's and Panda Buffet are excellent guesses . . . but wrong. Sandy, Italian Moon was where Darin and I often went for a late-night nosh, but it wasn't a place our family frequented. However, seeing as how you live in Omaha, the fact that you can even name more than one restaurant from the Grand Cities earns you a bowl of borscht next time you're in Dickinson.

    Keep guessing, gang!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How about Red Lobster? Your girls are sea bug fans, right?
    e

    ReplyDelete
  10. DING DING DING DING!! WE HAVE A WINNER! And the bowl of Jack's borscht goes to . . . Erin!

    Yes, whenever given a choice, the girls unanimously selected Red Lobster, where Abigail invariably ordered the crab legs off the children's menu and I consequently spent the first part of my meal cracking open hers. ("Sea bugs" . . . that deserves an eye roll.)

    Anna, how do you even know about the Red Pepper? I haven't been there in years myself . . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. The girls and I were fortunate (???) enough to accompany Uncle Nick and Auntie Cassie on a trip to Red Pepper on our visit to GF last summer. I think that might have been the first time I'd ever actually stepped foot in the place, although I'd eaten a grinder once or twice. Not hurrying back -- sorry to those who love the place, but there are lots of places higher up on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We stumbled upon the red pepper when I did a college visit to UND with my dad and my 2 friends (the time we also made a visit to your home). My one friend, Katie, who chose to attend there took us there this summer again. Quite an interesting place that's for sure haha.

    ReplyDelete