Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Inconclusive

Because of this, Susan and Abigail and I made a trip to Bismarck, ND today to meet with a pediatric neurologist.  We intended to hear an expert interpretation of the symptoms that Abigail experienced last month and of the results of the CAT scan, EEG, and MRI that she underwent in the weeks since.  The neurologist noted that the CAT scan and MRI showed nothing abnormal, although the EEG did show some abnormal activity in the brain.  She listened to the details of the initial incident and Abigail's behavior during and after it.  And her conclusion?  "I don't know."  Turns out that Abigail's symptoms aren't typical of any usual explanation from the neurologist's experience.  Anti-seizure medication is an option, but then we'd be medicating Abigail for a condition that we're not certain exists . . . using drugs that impede brain activity, for Pete's sake!  Or we could do nothing and just see if something similar ever happens again; and if it were to repeat, the doctor would be able to give a better diagnosis and prescribe medication accordingly.  So we're probably going to wait.

A lot of family and friends have been waiting for news from us about what happened, and we certainly wish we had returned from the neurologist appointment today with something certain to say about the incident in January that started this all.  Unfortunately we don't know much more now than we did before going to Bismarck.

Keep praying.

3 comments:

  1. I detest 'wait and see' diagnosis, but thankfully I have complete trust in our Master Physician and know He has our sweet Abigail always held close in His arms. Eddie and I (plus the herd)continue to keep you close at heart and lifted in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't exactly what we were hoping to hear, but it was certainly better than some things we COULD have heard...Abigail has such a good attitude and really has taken the whole thing very well.

    ReplyDelete